Portimão is the second biggest city and a municipality in the district of Faro, in the Algarve region of southern Portugal. The two most populous towns in the Algarve are Portimão and Faro. Portimao is near the most famous beach in the Algarve Praia da Rocha which means Rocky Beach. Portimao with its beautiful white sandy beaches is getting more popular each year. Portimao has a mix of late 19th, early 20th century buildings and high rise apartment blocks in various pastel colours of blue, pink and coral.
Portimao is a paradise for watersports enthusiasts: diving (the coastal waters contain the world's largest artificial reef), jet-skiing, pedalos, windsurfing, sailing, kitesurfing paragliding and powerboat racing (Portimão and the western Algarve are famous for its power boat racing circuit).
Other beaches in and near Portimao: Praia dos Três Castelos, Praia do Amado, Praia dos Careanos, Praia do Vau and Praia do Barranco das Canas.
The town centre is packed with shops (Portimao is probably one of the best towns for shopping in the Algarve), bars, restaurants and café’s and on its vibrant waterfront you will see well-tended gardens ('Manuel Bivar' gardens) and picturesque squares fringed with open-air cafés and restaurants.
Over the years Portimao became a sea side resort with lots of resorts, hotels, apartment hotels and apartments. Below you will find a small selection of the many hotels.
Where to stay in Portimao
• Algarve Casino Hotel a five stars hotel with furnished balconies and a spacious living area. Each room has a cable TV and minibar. Luxury amenities include two outdoor swimming pools surrounded by lush gardens. There is a hot tub and you can order massages also.
• Penina Hotel & Golf Resort a five star hotel which offers numerous sports and leisure facilities, including three golf courses and a large outdoor pool. The hotel features luxurious beds with white linens. Some have a balcony and seating area. Many rooms overlook the pool.
• Bela Vista Hotel & Spa - Relais & Chateaux this five star hotel consists of three separate buildings, each with a unique design. All rooms are decorated in a nautical theme and most offer a balcony overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Amenities include free Wi-Fi and flat-screen cable TV.
• Jupiter Algarve Hotel four star hotel located next to Praia da Rocha on the Portimão seafront. It offers spa facilities, nightly live entertainment and a swimming pool, which is covered in winter and heated. All rooms have air conditioning, minibar, satellite TV and a private bathroom, some have balconies with sea views.
• Morgado Golf & Country Club a four stars hotel surrounded by 18-hole courses and overlooking the Monchique mountain. The hotel offers four outdoor pools, a restaurant and buffet breakfast. All rooms are equipped with flat-screen cable TV, free Wi-Fi., private bathroom and a beautiful view of the surroundings.
• Vista Marina Apartamentos Turisticos this four star hotel featurs a swimming pool in a landscaped garden and is just a ten minutes walk from the center of Portimão. The complex features a sauna and a fitness center with a heated indoor pool. All apartments are decorated in warm, sunny colors and have air conditioning and a large wardrobe.
• Oceano Atlantico Apartamentos Turisticos a four star hotel on the Algarve coast with designer furnishings and balconies with views of the city or ocean. All apartments include a fully equipped kitchenette. They are spacious and equipped with a flat-screen TV, a washing machine and a private bathroom with a bath and toiletries.
• Jardim do Vau four stars located on the beach offers direct access to the resort of Praia do Vau. It offers apartments with one and two bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen. It has an indoor and outdoor pool.
Apartamentos Turisticos Coral do Vau three stars, Hotel Luar three stars, Clube Praia Mar three stars, Smartline Amarilis three stars, Apartamentos Jardins da Rocha three stars, Hotel Avenida Praia three stars, Flamingo three stars, Mirachoro III Apartamentos Rocha three stars, Hotel Apartamento Mirachoro II two stars, Apartamentos Mirante da Rocha, Studio 17 by Atlantic Hotels, Residencial Arabi, Columbia Apartamentos Turisticos.